5th October 2009 at 19:37
Today the Tories came out with some truly hideous policy on welfare:
1) They want to move 500,000 from incapacity benefit onto Jobseeker’s Allowance, cutting their benefit by £25 per week - the Sun reports they will assess 3,000 claimants per day
2) They want to privatise the delivery of welfare
3) They want to introduce workfare from six months.
New Labour welfare minister called this “callous”. Why? New Labour’s policies, in the Welfare Reform Bill nearly finished in Parliament are:
1) Move 1 million people off incapacity benefit - the Government claims they are assessing 10,000 claimants per week
2) Privatise the delivery of welfare
3) Introduce workfare for those unemployed more than a year
The fact of the matter is, New Labour has followed Tory welfare policy since it came to power: attack lone parents, blame the disabled and unemployed for their own situation and privatise the welfare state.
Maybe it’s the fact that the Tories are now taking their policies back - and with gusto - that Jim Knight finds “callous”.
If you want a truly humane response to this agenda, look no further than John McDonnell MP’s Guardian article on the Welfare Reform Bill
Log in to post a comment
This is a free blogging space for LRC members. Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the LRC.
act | atos | bbc | bma | british gas | build a socialist tendency | build anti-cut tendencies in labour | build socialist currents in the labour party | by-election | cambridge | capitalism | care home crisis | carerwatch | class | coalition government | conference | council houses | council housing | councils | croydon